The release of the WNBA’s schedule is always a key milestone as we move out of recapping the previous season and start looking ahead to the upcoming campaign. Here are a few things that stand out looking at the Storm’s schedule for 2011:
- 10 Weekend Home Games. That’s the most since 2008. In particular, there are lots of Friday and Saturday games – four apiece.
- Threes are Wild. The Storm will play four road trips of three games apiece, making up most of the away schedule. There is no trip longer than three games and only one down-and-back trip (to Phoenix). The most difficult road trip might be a two-game visit to Atlanta and New York with just one day off before and after and a 12 noon Pacific start against the Dream on a Sunday afternoon.
- Two Back-to-Backs. Both of them will involve Tulsa. The Storm faces Minnesota on July 29 and the Shock on July 30. The road schedule then wraps up with a game in Tulsa on Sept. 2 and at San Antonio on Sept. 3.
- Three Visits by the Silver Stars. The 12-game league means five-game season series against two Western Conference opponents. San Antonio comes to KeyArena on July 21, Aug. 2 and Aug. 23. Meanwhile, the Storm will make three trips to the Shock, with the other one coming on June 21.
- The No. 1 Pick Comes to Town. The Storm’s second home game of the season should be an exciting one as the Minnesota Lynx visit with the No. 1 overall pick (barring a trade). That player will almost certainly be UConn forward Maya Moore.
- Homestands. The Storm opens the season with three games at KeyArena. There is also a four-game homestand from Aug. 20 through 28, part of a month in which the Storm will play eight of its 12 games at home (after being on the road for nine out of 12 in July). The Storm then wraps things up with the last two games of the regular season in front of the home crowd against Phoenix and Chicago.
You can ensure you’ll be there for all the excitement by getting Storm season tickets today.